Friday, November 4, 2011

Domestic Migration

As I was reading a classmate’s blog titled, How Americans Are Moving”, I found it very comforting to find someone else that shares my own opinions on this subject.  I completely agree with the author on how economic depression in the past and the present has lead to a migratory depression. The government began tracking domestic migration in the 1940’s.  A recent census shows that domestic migration plummeted drastically since the recession began.   This recent census has also revealed that domestic migration has reached its lowest level since the tracking began. 
My mom is a single parent and raises both my sister and I on her own.  We ourselves migrated south to Texas from Chicago in 2005.   Since I will be going to college next year and my sister will follow a year later, my mother would like to put our home up for sale and move into a smaller house and possibly back to a big city.  She has told us that our house is worth a lot less and continues to depreciate in this failing economy.  My mom is also concerned about how many houses are currently for sale that are not selling and the fact that the sellers keep reducing their asking price.  It has been really stressful for her and she feels that she will be stuck here with no way out. I’m sure there are tons of people that are going through similar stuff.  The outrageous growing number of the unemployed is also a reason people cannot pick up and move.  There are a lot of kids at my school who talk about their family members who can’t find jobs.    Some reasons people wish to move is because they have tried to change their life where they are and adapt to the current economy. The overall moral of our current society is pessimistic and there is a lot of fear about where the economy will lead us.  How much worse will it get before we start to dig ourselves out.  What kind of help will people have?   Your closing statement that “we brought (this) upon ourselves: the depression” is difficult for me to understand at my age.  I know that my mom has always worked very hard and paid our bills and we have had times of struggle. I also believe that she has not done anything to personally cause the issues of our failing economy and off the charts unemployment rates.  I don’t believe that the people are responsible for our current state.  We the people have chosen to be a governed society.  From where I stand, I think the failures in our government have brought us to our current economic state: depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment